FROM THE DESK OF SR. MARIE HANNAH
Happy New Year parents, faculty and friends,
It's great to be back from Christmas break, and we are looking forward to the second half of the school year.
We have several exciting things coming up at SJS. First, we will celebrate Catholic Schools Week from January 30 - February 5. Please view our calendar of activities for daily themes and important announcements. We have a lot of fun planned for the week!
Enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year begins February 14. All current SJS students and Saint James Catholic Church parishioners who are not currently students at SJS may enroll their children. We will open enrollment for new students beginning Monday, February 28, so it is imperative that you complete your child’s enrollment packet by Friday, February 25, to reserve his/her spot for next year. Some of our K-3 grades are quite large and will fill up fast.
Something for us to celebrate as we kick off the new year is the generosity of our Grandparents Club. In true grandparent fashion, the group has spoiled our students and staff this year with special activities and items to enhance the SJS learning experience. We are incredibly thankful for their donations and support. This past year they have spent over $12,000 on items for the school. Here is a list of what they have funded thus far:
- Ceramics and Kiln for the Art Classroom
- 360° camera for 8th grade Technology
- Merge Headset & Cube for K - 3rd grade Technology. This award-winning STEM tool allows students to hold virtual objects and learn in ways never possible before
- Picture Books for the Computer Lab. Grades K-3 read picture books on topics such as Internet Safety and Coding.
- Spanish Resource Aids for the Spanish Classroom
- Seat Sacks for 1st grade. These sacks help young students organize classroom materials. Instructional time is maximized when students can access their own supplies quickly and efficiently. The seat sacks are durable and reusable from year to year and are a great investment for the classroom.
- 10 Chromebooks for K - 3rd grade Technology. All students are issued their own Chromebook to use throughout the school year and periodically they need to be updated and replaced.
- Four Document Cameras that project and magnify images of objects, paper notes and transparencies. Grades K-1st use the document camera when practicing their letter sounds as a part of the Orton-Gillingham literacy approach.
- LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime is an intuitive, highly adaptive and scalable hands-on solution that helps build students’ confidence in learning and develop 21st-century skills vital for future success. While building robots and then coding them, students see science, engineering and physics concepts in action.
Here’s to 2022 and a new year filled with love and joy!
Sr. Marie Hannah